DARMASISWA is a one year non-degree scholarship program offered to all non-Indonesia citizens from countries which Indonesia has diplomatic relations with to study Indonesian language (Bahasa Indonesia), arts, music, crafts and other specific subjects. This program was established in 1974 as part of the ASEAN initiative, admitting only students from ASEAN. However, in 1976 DARMASISWA was extended further to other countries. To date, the number of countries participating in this program has exceeded more than 111. DARMASISWA is organized by the Ministry of Education, Culture, Research, and Technology in collaboration with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Indonesia.
The main objective of the DARMASISWA program is to increase and cultivate interest in Indonesian language and Indonesian culture among citizens from other countries. It also designed to increase mutual understanding and provide stronger cultural bonds between different nations.
The application for DARMASISWA will start in early January and ends in early March. Each student has to fulfill these requirements as the follows:
- Must a foreign nationals
- Completed secondary education or its equivalent
- Minimum age 18 years and not older than 27 years of age
- Able to communicate in English (Proven by English Language Proficiency Certificate : TOEFL/TOEIC/IELTS or OTHER CERTIFICATE if applicable)
- In good health as proven by Medical Certificate
- Have basic knowledge of the field you're applying
- Have good interest to learning about language, art and culture
- Not registered as Darmasiswa’s Alumni
- Not currently studying in Indonesia
- Not currently working in Indonesia
- Curriculum vitae/resume
- Medical certificate
- Passport valid at least 24 months from the time of applying
- Recommendation Letter from Education Institution / Professional Institution on official letterhead and signature (in English)
- Latest academic transcript and certificates (in English)
- Language certificate (if applicable)
- Other certificates that related to the field you're applying (if applicable)
- Colored photo passport
- Writing essay about purpose of study (in English or Bahasa Indonesia maximum 500 words)
- The video showing full of body and has a maximum duration of 2 minutes to tell about the motivation to join the program and what will be done after the program, as an ambassador of Indonesian culture. (in English or Indonesian)
- Paper based TOEFL: 500 or IELTS equivalent
- Undergraduate: Applicants must hold high school diploma
- Postgraduate: Applicants must hold bachelor degree and/or master degree.
|Student apply for the program in https://ia.unesa.ac.id/page/apply
After receiving your application documents, the Office of International Affairs (OIA) member and the Faculty member will process it into a selection process.
Applicants will be assessed against the following criteria:
|If you are selected as one of the student candidates of Unesa, you will receive a Letter of Offer (LO) via email that requests you to settle non-refundable payment for tuition fees and any other fees (for regular program)
|OIA will process the documents for a Letter of Acceptance (LoA).
|You will receive the LoA and other information related to the courses offered, academic regulation, student buddy, etc. by email from firstname.lastname@example.org.
|The Office of International Affairs at Unesa will process the application documents to the Directorate of Higher Education of Indonesia for a Study Permit. It usually takes two months to have the study permit issued.
|When the study permit is available, OIA will assist you to arrange for the approval from Immigration Office in Jakarta for the Limited Stay Visa (VITAS/Visa Tinggal Terbatas). It will take at least three/four months to arrange both study permit and VITAS approval.
|Then, you will receive your VITAS (Limited Stay Visa/Visa Tinggal Terbatas) in your email
|Students with stay duration more than 4 months must process VITAS (Student Visa).
|You need to contact the OIA no more than one week after you arrive in Indonesia. Furthermore, you will receive other directions from OIA for completing your stay permit documents for your safety and convenience purpose